Welcome to the Proserpine Historical Museum, three-time winner of the Whitsunday Heritage and Cultural Tourism Award and a Queensland Tourism Judges Commendation. The museum has also been inducted into the Whitsunday Tourism Hall of Fame.
The Society aims to collect and preserve the history of the Whitsunday region and its associated communities. The museum houses an extensive collection of printed materials, photographs and artefacts relating to the history of the area, from its first inhabitants the Juru, Gia, Bira and Ngaro people, to the early European pioneers and the post war settlers. A small theatre screens a selection of DVDs on local topics and famous identities.
The Museum is managed and maintained entirely by volunteers.
Spend some relaxing time watching a DVD in the 'Eldorado Theatrette'. Some of the available titles include:
- The Journey of the Jellybean (sugar
processing, suitable for children)
- Last Plane Out of Berlin (the story
of Sidney Cotton)
- Airlie Beach 1970s
The Foyer Shop
- Locally crafted items for sale:
jewellery, soft toys, crocheted and
knitted items, bags, table runners,
- Beautiful Ashdene cups and trays
- Pre-loved Books, Magazines, CDs
June 2022 Issue 127
- Entertainment Centres: The Old and
- Ye Olde School Days: Gregory,
- Camera Club, Sporting and Touring
Club in Proserpine
- Easter Attractions of Yesteryear
- The Story of Our Cenotaphs
- Snippets of History in Story and
- Bush Telegraph
Like us on our Proserpine Museum Facebook page for more fascinating local history and photos.